COVID-19 Histio Hub
The health and safety of you and your family - our Histio Community - is of utmost importance to us. We have been closely monitoring the developments of the coronavirus (COVID-19) as well as the professional advice being released by different health agencies across the globe, such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States and the World Health Organization (WHO). We are also working closely with the medical leadership of the Histiocyte Society, the leading experts in histiocytic disorders globally, to help provide more histio-related information to you as soon as it is available.
We have created this information hub to help you navigate your way through COVID-19. Information and links will be regularly added to this hub. The areas include:
- Histio Community updates from our Executive Directory, Deanna Fournier
- COVID-19 News from the CDC
- Medical Articles related to histiocytic disorders from reputable sources
- Resources on entertainment, families, children, mental health & wellness, education and more from around the internet
The news and information about COVID-19 can be unsettling and especially worrisome for older adults and those with compromised immune systems or lung involvement. Should you have any questions about your specific health concerns or if you begin to show symptoms of fever, cough, chest pain, and shortness of breath, we encourage you to reach out to your medical team for evaluation.
As the situation continues to evolve and we receive more information, we will add it to this hub. If you have a resource you'd like to submit for consideration for inclusion, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2020 Histio Town Hall on COVID-19
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention News Feed
CDC COVID Data Tracker - Cases and Deaths by State
Variants of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, have been reported in many countries around the world. Learn more about the current variants of concern.
Federal staffing resources for health departments.
Get help using v-safe, the health checker for COVID-19 vaccinations.
CDC is aggressively responding to the global outbreak of COVID-19 and preparing for the potential of community spread in the United States.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- Study Provides Overview of COVID-19 and Cardiovascular Health - Contagion Live/ Infectious Diseases Today
- In the lab, St. Jude researchers uncover origins of deadly inflammation caused by the novel coronavirus - St. Jude
- Treatment of cytokine storm syndrome with IL‐1 receptor antagonist anakinra in a patient with ARDS caused by COVID‐19 infection: A case report - Wiley Online Library
- Focus on cytokine storm syndrome may be silver lining in COVID-19 - Healio Rheumatology
- JAK/STAT pathway inhibition sensitizes CD8 T cells to dexamethasone-induced apoptosis in hyperinflammation - Blood (American Society of Hematology)
- NIH COVID-19 Information - National Institutes of Health
- Rare Action Network COVID-19 Virtual Discussion Groups By State - NORD
- COVID-19 Navigator - Wondros
- Johns Hopkins University & Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center
- CDC Announces New Possible Symptoms - CDC
- FDA Authorizes First Test for Patient At-Home Sample Collection - FDA
- Coronavirus: What People with Cancer Should Know - National Cancer Institute
- Common Questions About the New Coronavirus Outbreak - American Cancer Society
- A Message to Patients With Cancer and Health Care Providers About COVID-19 - FDA Oncology Center of Excellence
In the midst of coronavirus/COVID-19, there are many resources available to help you navigate daily life as well as larger concerns. We have created an on-going list below of resources that we've found or that have been shared with us. Please be sure to read the fine print on any of the linked pages as offers and situations may change without notice. If you've found a resource that you have found helpful, we encourage you to share it with us by emailing it to email@example.com for potential inclusion in this list.
- NORD's COVID-19 Relief Programs
- Free Medicine to Unemployed Patients from Bristol Myers Squibb
- $35 Insulin Co-Pay Available from Eli Lilly
- Find Assistance from Pfizer on medications
- Amgen Patient Assistance Programs
- Patients Rising Now List of Pharmaceutical Patient Assistance Programs for COVID-19
- NORD Launches Financial Assistance Program for Rare Disease Community Members Impacted by COVID-19
- Restaurant Employee Relief Fund
- Restaurant Workers' Community Foundation
- United Way Community Response and Recovery Fund
Grocery Store with Special Hours for Seniors & the Vulnerable
Be sure to check your local store information and follow mandates on going out and social distancing.
- Disaster Distress Helpline
- Call 1-800-985-5990
- National Domestic Violence Hotlineexternal icon
- Call 1-800-799-7233 and TTY 1-800-787-3224
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- Work in the time of corona
- Extroverts, Here’s How to Survive Social Distancing, According to an Introvert
- How to Stay Physically and Mentally Healthy While COVID-19 Has You Stuck at Home
While many of us are home doing our part to avoid large gatherings and practicing social distancing, the need to stay connected with our friends, family and the Histio Community is at the forefront of our minds.
Let’s face it, the kids are bored, the dog is bored, and we could all use a little distraction.
For many in our Histio Community, important life events have been put on hold, even cancelled.
Concerts and recitals, and sporting events, too.
Science fairs, art shows, spelling bees and class trips.
Birthday parties, graduation, weddings, and fundraising events.
Whether you have a poem to recite, a craft to share, a song to sing, dancing, joke-telling - the possibilities are endless! Here is your “do-over”. Here’s your chance to share with us all. We would like to invite you to join us on the Histio Open Stage!